When crafting or playing in the Weird West, it’s often handy to have some inspirational tunes spinning in the background. The band that I immediately think of for Weird West warbles is Ghoultown.
Their catchy hymns manage to strike a particular chord of the strange and horrific that is perfectly suited to a Weird West adventure. From tales of drinking with the dead to serial killers aboard trains, you can never go wrong firing up a track from one of their albums.
The flavor of their music is firmly in the realm of rockabilly/psychobilly; which means you get a fusion of hard rock riffs and lyrics mixed with blues and classic western guitar twang. Their is also a strong influence from south of border with a strong influx of mariachi inspired brass.
- Boots of Hell – 1999
- Tales From the Dead West – 2000
- Give ‘Em More Rope – 2002
- Live From Texas! – 2004
- Bury Them Deep – 2006
- Life After Sundown – 2008
- Skeleton Cowboys (vinyl) – 2008
- Mistress of the Dark – 2009
Their style eventually attracted the Mistress of the Dark, Elvira, to seek a theme song and video from the psyhobilly rockers from Texas. And for Vampire fans out there, their gig posters actually appeared in the 2004 Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines PC game. Well, enough of my wailin’s, I’ll their music speak for itself.
Wild West Weeks
- Welcome to Wild West Weeks
- Wild West RPG Database
- Into the Far West
- Aces & Eights: Shattered Frontier
- Deadlands Reloaded
- Red Dead Redemption
- 24 Hour Old West RPG, Part 1
- 24 Hour Old West RPG, Core Mechanics
- 24 Hour Old West RPG, Traits I
- 24 Hour Old West RPG, Traits II
- 24 Hour Old West RPG, Traits III
- Wild West Minis Database
- Legends of the West RPG: Vitality & Experience
- Tunes of the Weird West: Ghoultown